Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Teachers....what do you make?

I found this great story, and wanted to post it as a tribute to all teachers everywhere, many of whom inspired my love to read and to write.

We were all sitting around the dinner table discussing life when the man across from me decided to show his brilliance. He said the problem with teaching is this; “What’s a kid going to learn from someone who decided his best option in life was to become a teacher? I mean, you’re a teacher,” he continued. “Be honest. What do you make?”

And I wish he hadn’t done that (asked me to be honest) because, you see, I have a policy about honesty—if you ask for it, I let you have it.

I said, “You want to know what I make? I make kids work harder than they ever thought they could. I can make a C+ feel like a Congressional Medal of Honor, and an A- feel like a slap in the face; ‘How dare you waste my time with anything less than your very best?’ I make parents tremble in fear when I call home; ‘I hope I haven’t called at a bad time, I just wanted to talk to you about something Billy said today.’ I make parents see their children for who they are and what they can be.

“I’ll tell you what I make. I make kids wonder, I make them question. I make them write. I make them read, read, read. I make them spell a word over and over again until they will never misspell that word again. I make them show all their work in math, and hide it on their final drafts in English. I make them understand that if they have brains, they follow their hearts, and if someone ever tries to judge them by what they make to pay them no attention.

“Let me break it down for you, so you know what I say is true: I make a difference in the lives of hundreds of children. Now, what about you? What do you make?”

4 comments:

Betsy Love said...

Thank you, Donna! It's nice to be appreciated!

Anonymous said...

Very good, Donna. You just brought to mind an English teacher I had in junior college that told me I should devote my time to writing. That was buried so far back in my memory it took a story like this to bring it out. Thanks, Barbara B

Terry Deighton said...

Donna,
I am a substitute. When I quit, I just want to know I made a difference for some of the hundreds of kids I've spent a day or a week or a couple of months with. On the night of my twin's graduation, one of their classmates talked to me. I hadn't talked to him since sixth grade. He told me that he remembered the talks we had. He said he'd straighten out and wanted to do something with his life. That was a great pay day for me.
Terry D.

Sam said...

What a nice story! It's sad to say that some teachers don't see teaching as this anymore. It's just their job what they get paid for. I give mucho kudos to those who put all they have into teaching to really make a difference in students' lives. I remember a sub I had in 8th grade for history. Our regular teacher was out most the year with health issues. The way he taught was so boring it put me to sleep every day. But when the sub came: what a difference in teaching methods! The sub helped me actually retain history facts and made me enjoy that class. Once again: kudos to those kind of teachers!

bookcover slide show