Paperback advantages:restful for the eyes of a person who works a lot on the computer and is tired of the electronic glare by the end of the day
cozy
inexpensive, at least the average paperback; the hardbacks are still fairly pricey.
can be underlined, highlghted and dog-eared
can easily flip back and forth to other pages
can be traded and lent out without infriging upon any copywrite or anti-piracy laws
Disadvantages:
you have to go out to the library or bookstore, or order one on line and wait for delivery (unless you have a huge 'to be read pile,' like I do)
uses trees
are bulky to store
need good lighting by which to read

Advantages of E-books
download instantly to most PDF or Palm readers, or ebook readers
generally less expensive than paper books
can store hundreds of books all on one little device, so it saves storage space
environmentally friendly
don't need good lighting as most of them are back-lit
can increase the font to larger type
appeal to techies
most ebook readers are so small that they can be carried with you everywhere
Disadvantages of E-books:
require very expensive e-book readers ($200 and more)or Palm readers
it's a PC--if you drop it in the bathtub, you're toast and so is it
if your battery power dies, you can't read any more until you charge it up
So there you have it. Do your research on ebook readers, maybe try a freind's and see if you like it or not before you decide. And watch new products. Like anything technical, new generations of ebook readers come out all the time.
What do you prefer? Take in my poll above, or leave a comment. Or, if you think of additional advantages or disadvantages, please leave a comment, too.
Either way, Happy Reading!
8 comments:
A e-reader is in my future sometime down the line. I see a lot of advantages if I can get the books I want--like the ones I use to research my novels...will just have to see what's available.
I would like an e-reader too. There are only so many bookshelves a home can hold :-)
Hey Donna! Don't forget phones. I wanted a reader for a long time and really didn't want to read on my phone. But I've discovered...I don't know if I'll ever get an official 'reader' now. My phone goes every where I go. It can hold just as many books as a reader. I can change font, colors, ect... just like a reader. I don't have need to carry another thing. I can read while waiting to pick up the kids, while waiting for their football to start...or anywhere! And I do! Its way handy. Whereas the actually reader would still not always be with me. And I wouldn't get those 'golden moments' of extra reading time. =) I used to think the phone was too small...but really, if the story is any good...you get caught up in the story and never even notice. =)
Cole
I use both. It's an "and" for me, for a couple of reasons you didn't list
Kindle (and other ebook readers) have a nifty dictionary feature and can use active links, this is a way nice feature. It's particularily good for tech ref manuals, and it also handles the updated technology problem nicely.
OTOH, paper books can never be "disabled" by the publisher or copyright owner, a heinous crime in my book. :-)
_daev
I enjoy the accessibility of e-books and make full use of them, but I LOVE traditional books and will never tire of owning them.
I like both, but when I leave the house, I usually take my e-reader with me...no one knows what I'm reading this way...lol But I still love paperback books..I have a very big pile of to read books..both paper & digital. My husband likes my e-reader too. I have soooo many books that I don't want to give away...I'm a keeper of books :)
I like paperback best, although I like using the computer type screen because it's quicker to access and doesn't cost a lot of money. And it saves trees!
I love my Sony Ereader!! I can carry around 300+ books at all times.
Post a Comment