Tuesday, February 9, 2010

A Real Life Hero


I have to brag about my husband. I know marital harmony isn't really in vogue these days, and we've certainly had our share of difficulties, most recently of the employment variety. However, I have to publicly thank my husband for being the most amazing guy around. If it were up to me, he'd have the husband of the year award, hands down!

Friday, I went straight from work to the Glendale Chocolate Affaire where I was one of the authors doing a book signing. It was great fun but it was a long drive and took a lot of energy. I got home tired, but wound up so I didn't go to sleep till well after midnight. Then I was up getting ready at 7:00 a.m. to meet by boss at work by 8:00 in order to go do a training seminar at a school about 30 minute drive away. The plan was to get that thing set up, greet and register the seminar participants, and then drive from there to the Glendale Chocolate Affaire. My boss was kind enough to tell me not to worry about clean up, that he'd get some of the board members to help, so I could attend my book signing.

So, I had my map and my directions already printed out, but I was nervous about it because I have NO sense of direction. I can get lost in my own neighborhood.

Well anyway, that morning, I was so rushed -- and sleepy -- that I left with wet hair, without remembering to grab my curling iron, my map to the place where we were going, my fruit smoothie for breakfast, and my vitamins. Okay, I know what you're thinking, but I notice a real dip in my energy if I don't take them. And my smoothie is crucial because I have hypoglycemia and I need the natural sugars to level out my blood sugars. I know, wah wah.

Anyway, when I was on my way to work I realized I'd forgotten my map and my curling iron (which I need to help combat the frizzies). So I did what any self-respecting woman would do; I called my Dear Husband and asked if he could bring it to my work which isn't far from my house.

I was hoping my boss and I would get his truck loaded up with the things we needed to bring to the seminar and give my DH time to get there. Being the sweet and wonderful guy my DH is, he agreed. To my disappointment (and embarrassment), I got to the parking lot at my work to see that my boss had already loaded up his truck and was sitting inside it in the parking lot, truck running and pointing toward the driveway all ready to leave.

Needless to say, there wouldn't be time for my DH to bring me my stuff. I tried to call him, but he'd forgotten to turn on his cell phone. I was sick about having him come to my work only to miss me and make a wasted trip, but the best I could to was call home and tell my kids what happened.

DH called a few minutes later and I explained what had happened and then began moaning about how lost I was going to get trying to find this place in Phoenix in case I got separated from my boss, and how much more lost I was going to get going from this school to the Glendale Civic Center for the Chocolate Affaire.

Have I mentioned I have no sense of direction? I was also anticipating headaches and low energy because I didn't get my smoothie or vitamins and was really discouraged. It's possible I was also PMSing which usually hits a week or so ahead of time so I don't always know why I overreact to small stresses. Anyway, I tried not to cry as I told my DH all my woes, who really, did an admirable job of consoling me and told me if I should get separated from my boss, to call him and he'd "google map" it and give me directions to get me to that school and then, from there, to my book signing. I took a breath and pulled myself together.

I did not get separated from my boss. We got to the school, set up, checked people in and began the seminar. I longingly eyed the donuts and hot chocolate while my stomach grumbled, but I didn't dare indulge and bring on the inevitable headache.

Out of the corner of my eye, I say someone standing in the doorway. There stood my husband, a bag in one hand and a large cup in the other. He stood there, smiling, and my heart did that same little flippy floppy thing it's been doing ever since I met him. I got up as quietly as possible(fortunately I was sitting int he back of the room near the door). He handed me a bag with everything I'd left, and a cup full of my favorite fruit smoothie combination. After a big hug and a kiss, he was off to drive all the way home and then go to work (after I handed him a donut and tried really hard not to cry).

What a prince!!!!

I always knew he was a good guy, but I was floored that he'd taken the time to drive all the way out to rescue me from my problems.

See, there really are real life heroes and I married one! So, count one vote for husband of the year.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew I couldn't be the only one who had one of these!!!! :) Love it. Love it. Love it. He really did go the extra mile, didn't he(literally)? Isn't love Grand?

Valerie Ipson said...

Aren't you lucky that when you're writing about a hero you have the perfect model right there? A wonderful tribute for Valentine's Day.

Donna Hatch said...

Thanks Karen and Valerie!

Anna del C. Dye said...

That is a great man I suggest you hung on to him. lol
Congratulation.
Anna del C.
Author of "The Silent Warrior Trilogy"
http://www.annadelc.com

bookcover slide show