Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Happy Birthday to me

Today is my birthday. I'm 29. Again. Do you believe it?
:-)

I've been trying to think of a memorable birthday, but only a few really stick out in my mind. One was when I turned 13. I had my first ever boy and girl party...mostly because I had a huge crush on this really great guy named Brad and I wanted him to come to my party. I still smile when I think of him. I guess the fist big crush never really goes away.

To be fair, and to hide the reason I decided to include boys in my party, I invited my entire Sunday School class, plus some kids from school. To my surprise, almost everyone I invited came to my party. We had a blast! We played lots of fun group games and everyone was a great sport. A few of the guys I sorta though were jerks in church even behaved themselves at the party and made it fun for everyone.

For my birthday cake, we had angel food cake, and a do-it-yourself strawberries and whipped cream bar where everyone could add as much of that as they wanted to their cake slice. Can you say sugar rush? It was heavenly!

Anyway, since then, I've decided that I'm not really into parties. I no longer enjoy being the center of attention--maybe I never really did but thought I was supposed to. I prefer quiet evenings at home with my family or going out and doing something special but not with the whole restaurant looking at me while the waiters all sing and clap *shudder*.

This year for my birthday, I get a quiet dinner with my husband, my children, and my daughter-in-law (my son is in Tech school for the Air Force).  We always get to pick our favorite food for dinner and everyone says at least one thing they love the most about the birthday person.  Ahhh, my kind of party. Then, this Saturday, my husband is taking me to the Renaissance Festival--just the two of us. I've been wanting to do that for years. I hope I find a medieval costume by then (I need one for a book signing I'm doing at the Renaissance Festival next month anyway.) Or maybe I'll just wear my Maid Marion Costume I wear every year for Halloween.

Since I'm not having a big party with friends, I still want to have a celebration with my friends. So,  I'm giving away chocolate :-) Please leave a comment telling me about a memorable birthday you have--good or bad. (Telling me that I'm wonderful, or at least that my books are, would be nice, but not necessary.)

Please remember to leave your email address in the comment so I can notify you if you win. If you don't, I'll have to track you down, and tracking down people makes me cranky.  So don't make me cranky on my birthday.


The winner will receive a bag of Lindor's Lindt chocolate truffles. When you leave a comment, you can specify dark, milk, white, or mixed.

(Sorry, due to legal entanglements I'm told are on the rise, I can only keep this open to US residents. But you can still feel free to tell me about a birthday memory even if you live outside the US.)

Winners will be chosen Friday, Feb 10.

Happy Birthday to me. And Happy Un-birthday to you ;-)


Legal stuff:
No purchase necessary.
Giveaway open to US residents only.
Winners will be chosen randomly.
Odds of winning depend on the number of entries received.

Void where prohibited by law.





23 comments:

Carol Silvis said...

Happy birthday! My sixteenth was great. I had a live band and a houseful of friends. And I'm sure there was chocolate cake. carolsilvis@yahoo.com

MAGolla said...

Happy Birthday, Donna!
Wow--I will always remember my 12th birthday. We were seriously poor (one Christmas I got a comb and a can of deoderant) but my mom allowed us kids (I'm the youngest of 9) to pick our own birthday dinner and cake. For years I was happy with hamburgers, but this year I got smart and asked for steak. I'm sure that set her back a bit financially. She also made me a wonderful chocolate cake with sour cream in the cake and cream cheese chocolate icing. YUM!

Anonymous said...

On my 18th birthday my not so wonderful mother told me that the man that raised me since birth was not my father.In my heart hes my only father and i love him and miss him more every day.Sadly he passed in 98 of cancer.dancingbear28@msn.com

Lisa Lu said...

I will tell you...my 21 birthday was spent in Utah, 22, in Ottawa, Canada, 23, Neuchatel, Switzerland, 24, home - Utah, 25, Malibu, CA, 26, New York, NY, I like going places for my birthday as you can see. It's slowed down for the last 10 years (marriage and kids)...but my husband never fails to make it special and that is why birthdays are my FAVORITE! I adore your books and can't wait for more! Thanks and have a fantastic birthday, Donna! You deserve it!

lisalolsen(at)gmail(dot)com

Kari Pike said...

Happy birthday, Donna! You are wonderful...and so are your books! Thank you for creating them. I had my tonsils out two weeks before my 16th birthday. I caught my hair on fire leaning over to blow out the candles on the cake for my 18th birthday. One of my most tender memories is my 37th birthday when my kids had me turn on the radio throughout the day because they called all the radio stations and requested the country song, "Love Grows Best in Little Houses." (I was expecting #9 and the house had about 1300 square feet.) Have a great day Donna!!!hugs~

Kali+Matt said...

Happy Birthday!!!

About 2 weeks ago I turned the dreaded 30 (or 29 for the 2nd time) and I am 6 months pregnant with our first. The last thing I wanted to do was be the center of attention. However, my mother-in-law, bless her, wanted to make it special for me because 30 is one of those “big deal” birthdays. The whole family went out to eat and then when back to my sister-in-law’s house for cake and ice cream. Once there, my sister and mother-in-law decided it would be fun to play dress up with me. *Sigh* I love them dearly and I know they were just trying to make it a fun night for me, but I was ready to kill them both by the time it was all over. Thankfully my husband made it up with 2 dozen roses, to-die-for chocolate cake, and a foot rub the next day. Ahhh…I knew I loved him. :)

Milk Chocolate
Kali_Edwards@hotmail.com

Larsen said...

Ahhhh, Happy Birthday my dear! You're as delicious as the chocolate you are giving away.

Dark is my favorite.
kyleandgina@gmail.com

Now on to a memorable birthday....when I was turning 25, I honestly thought I was turning 24. Six months went by and when asked how old I was by a friend, I answered 24. She told me that couldn't be, as she was already 25, and therefore I must be too. It started a conversation that WAS NOT fun! I had somehow missed the fact I was indeed 25! It was awful. Funny, but not. I had to write out the year and the age side by side to verify.... ugh. 1977-born 1987- turned 1....etc.....

Too this day, now at 34, and yes, I am sure that's how old I am, I can not live that one down within the circle of friends that know and Kyle tells anyone who will listen.

Hope you have a wonderful birthday, and I hope I win!

Judy said...

Happy Birthday, Donna! I hope it's wonderful! Please, don't include me in the drawing, I'm trying to make an honest effort to lose weight, and Lindt is my downfall. An open bag is an empty bag. :-)

Peggy Urry said...

Happy Happy Birthday Donna! One of my most memorable birthdays was a weekend in Carlsbad with just me and my sweet husband. Nothing like relaxing on the beach. paurry@msn.com

Valerie Ipson said...

My last birthday was memorable...it was a big one ending in a ZERO...and my only request was that I wanted to go bowling with all my kids that live close enough to go. We had a big group of kids and in-laws and it was fun. They surprised me afterwards with a virtual birthday party online where my faraway kids, siblings, dad, in-laws were all online to wish me happy b-day at one of those gotomeeting.com sites. And I'll take MILK choco. (Thanks in advance!)

Have a perfectly wonderful birthday, Donna!!!!!!

Denise G said...

When I was about 8 or 9, I had my birthday party on an old train car. Lots of fun. I think I always have a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting (or a checkerboard cake). If i win, I would like dark chocolate please. denisegee@byu.net

Donna Hatch said...

Wow, I've never heard of so many sweet, and sad and funny birthdays!

Donna Marie Del Grosso said...

Hi Donna! Happy Birthday!
One of the best birthdays i can remember having happened when our son was 8 or 9. Even though it was my birthday, I went shopping for a present for him. He was really into the Diamondbacks and playing baseball. I bought him Diamndback sheets, pillow cases, comforters- the whole she-bang. I put a sign over his bed that said something like "Diamondback parking only" It almost killed me to have to wait for him to get home from school. But when I saw his face and the surprise in his eyes, it was worth the wait. That ranks right up there with one of the best!

chastwn said...

Happy Birthday, Donna. My birthdays have always been quiet affairs, for the most part, with the exception of one time. I had a rather boisterous brother-in-law who loved birthdays - everyone else's. So, on my birthday, which sometimes falls on Thanksgiving, he, the rest of the family, and half of the restaurant sang Happy Birthday to me. Not just once, but three times. My Mom had to talk him out of calling me on the phone later and sing to me again. Needless to say, I don't like anyone singing Happy Birthday to me.

Donna K. Weaver said...

Happy Birthday, Donna. My best and worst birthday was the first one after my first husband died. My birthday happened to fall on the two month anniversary of his death. I had two two young children (four and 19 months), and no one called. Both my late husband's parents and my own parents had sent me cards, but they arrived late. I had no one to acknowledge the day.

Finally, I decided to quit feeling sorry for myself and make my own birthday cake, and my four-year-old son asked what the I was doing. I explained that it was my birthday and I was making a cake. This sweet little boy looked around and asked me where the presents were. I asked him who was going to give me presents.

We had a pleasant little party, just the three of us, but the results of my idle remark manifest themselves a couple of months later when that same little boy told me I needed to find someone who could take him shopping. He was determined that I was going to get something for Christmas! *sniff*

Author Kathryne Kennedy said...

Happy Birthday, Donna! What a fantastic way to celebrate. Big hug!

Barbara White Daille said...

Hi, Donna - happy birthday!

I loved reading all the stories.

Like you, I like a quieter birthday.

The year after I got married, we had a double celebration. We had the family party, which is always great. Then a few days later, my husband and I went out again.

That was fun, too. I ordered my favorite King Crab legs for dinner and my favorite chocolate cake for dessert. Yum.

Since I'm a chocoholic and just had a birthday, too, I'll throw my name in for the drawing. ;)

I'd choose dark chocolate. Not because it's my favorite, but because it's healthier. (sigh)/LOL

barbara @ barbara white daille dot com

Thanks, and again, happy birthday. And many more!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! My favorite b-day was my 8th. It was the first time I ever got to have a big b-day party with friends! Love your books!
Milk
barnchick@hotmail.com

Wendy said...

I love how you say your favorite thing about the birthday person. I think I will start that for my family. Truth be told, I have never commented on a blog of anyones before. But you said chocolate so I had to jump to action. My favorite birthday memory was when I was in Arizona for the summer. Jim and Liz wrapped Jason and I up in toilet paper and took us to the airport. Once embarrassed enough, they took us home where Jason tried to push me in the pool. I tried pulling him in too so he grabbed onto Jim who let go so that we both went in completely clothed!

celeste said...

Happy Happy Birthday! You mentioned you have a book signing comming up. Does that mean you have a new book comming out? I keep waiting for something in the Rogue Hearts Series.

Joyce DiPastena said...

I don't think I've had a favorite birthday. I've had lots of UN-favorite ones, but I'm still trying to forget them. ;-)

When are you signing at the RenFest? The first year I signed, I rented a costume at the rental place outside the gate. It was the most beautiful Ren dress I ever wore and cost a fraction of what it costs to buy one. (Trust me, having done both, I know!

jdipastena AT yahoo DOT com

catslady said...

Happy, happy birthday!!

I've never had a real party although I have been taken for some nice dinners. My 60th got bypassed last year which was a bummer but my daughter was having marital problems and is now divorced so that sort of consumed all of us in the family. Maybe for my 65th lol.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!

My most memorable would be my 30th. I was so excited for it only to have my husband completely forget that is was my birthday! My neighbor was feeling sorry for me and called him around 5pm that day to let him know of his error. I got the best bouquet of flowers you've ever seen. In his defense, it was the middle of tax season (he's a tax guy). I've never let him live that one down!

Lara
larafacit@hotmail.com

p.s. I'm dying for your next book to come out!

bookcover slide show